Getting a tattoo is a big decision, and one that should be taken seriously. Not only does it involve a significant financial investment, but the safety and care of your new tattoo should be taken into account to ensure that it lasts a lifetime. Below is a guide to help you properly care for your new tattoo and make sure it looks great for years to come.
1. Keep your tattoo clean. Immediately after getting your tattoo, gently wash the area with lukewarm water and a mild, unscented soap. After that, you should continue to wash the area twice a day with lukewarm water and soap.
2. Apply a thin layer of ointment. Once you’ve washed the area, apply a thin layer of ointment, such as a fragrance-free, water-based lotion or cream. Avoid using petroleum jelly, as this can cause the tattoo to smudge and blur.
3. Avoid direct sunlight. It’s important to keep your new tattoo out of direct sunlight for at least the first four weeks after getting it. If you must be in the sun for any length of time, make sure to cover the area with clothing or a bandage.
4. Moisturize regularly. To keep your tattoo looking its best, moisturize the area with a fragrance-free lotion or cream. This will help keep the skin hydrated and will also reduce the risk of scabbing.
5. Don’t scratch or pick at the tattoo. While it’s normal to experience some itching during the healing process, it’s important to resist the urge to scratch the area. Doing so can cause the ink to smudge, and can also lead to infection.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your new tattoo looks great for years to come.