Getting a tattoo is a big decision and it’s important to know how to properly care for it afterwards. One of the most important steps in tattoo aftercare is how long to keep the tattoo out of water. This guide will provide you with all the information you need to ensure your tattoo heals properly and looks great for years to come.
1. Keep the tattooed area dry for the first 4-5 days. This is the most important step, as it allows the tattoo to heal properly. Avoid swimming, taking baths, and other activities that expose the tattoo to water.
2. When showering, try to limit contact with water and take shorter showers. If possible, cover the tattoo with a waterproof bandage or plastic wrap. This will keep the area dry and allow the tattoo to heal properly.
3. After 4-5 days, you can begin to expose the tattoo to light water contact. Avoid hot tubs and swimming pools, as they contain chemicals that can irritate the area.
4. After 2 weeks, you can begin to expose the tattoo to more water contact. Swimming, hot tubs, and baths are all acceptable. However, it’s important to avoid soaking the area for too long.
5. Once the tattoo is healed, it can be exposed to water as much as you like. Just be sure to keep it moisturized and avoid long soaks in the water.
Following these steps will ensure that your tattoo heals properly and looks great for years to come.