When you get a new tattoo, it’s normal to experience some itching as the area heals. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to reduce the itching and help your skin heal properly. Read on to learn how to stop tattoo itching.
1. Keep the area clean. Gently wash the area with mild soap and warm water twice a day. Pat the area dry with a clean paper towel or a soft cloth.
2. Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free moisturizing lotion. Avoid lotions that contain petroleum or mineral oil, which can trap in moisture and irritate the skin.
3. Use a cold compress. Applying a cold compress to the area for 15 minutes every few hours can help reduce itching and inflammation.
4. Avoid scratching. Scratching can cause the area to become irritated and cause infection.
5. Wear loose, breathable clothing. Tight clothing can irritate the area and cause itching.
6. Avoid direct sunlight. Sun exposure can cause the area to become irritated and cause the ink to fade faster.
7. See your doctor if your itching does not improve. Your doctor may be able to recommend an over-the-counter or prescription medication to help reduce the itching.