Getting a new tattoo is an exciting experience, but it’s important to make sure you take proper care of it afterwards. Sleeping with a new tattoo can be a bit tricky, as you want to make sure that your new ink is not damaged or disturbed while you’re sleeping. Follow these steps to learn how to sleep with a new tattoo.
1. Make sure your tattoo is fully healed before sleeping with it. It is important to wait until your tattoo is completely healed before sleeping with it. This can take up to 3 weeks, depending on the size and location of the tattoo.
2. Keep your tattoo clean. Before bed, make sure to thoroughly clean the area with soap and water. This will help keep any bacteria from getting into your open wound and causing infection.
3. Apply a thin layer of moisturizer to your tattoo. This helps to keep the skin hydrated and prevents it from drying out and cracking.
4. Wear loose-fitting clothing. Tight clothing can rub against the tattoo and cause irritation. Wear something comfortable and loose-fitting to bed, such as a pair of boxer shorts or pajama pants.
5. Sleep on your back or side. Avoid sleeping on your stomach, as this can cause the tattoo to rub against the bed sheets and pillow.
6. Change your bedding regularly. It is important to change your sheets and pillowcases regularly when sleeping with a new tattoo. This helps to keep the area clean and prevents any bacteria or dirt from getting into your open wound.
7. Change your sleeping position regularly. To avoid the tattoo from becoming irritated, you should change your sleeping position every few hours. This will help to keep the tattoo from becoming too compressed and will help to reduce swelling.
Following these steps can help ensure that your new tattoo is properly cared for while you sleep. Remember to keep your tattoo clean, moisturized, and to change your sleeping position regularly.